Herm...need a steamer.. Warid have one.. better ask him.. Hehehhe well yesterday I made myself Seri Muka a traditional Malay kueh (and I think Nyonya also). Back in Malaysia when I want to break my fast I love to have some kueh with me. So I decided to make some overe here because we cannot find any Bazaar Ramadan where we can just buy any kueh that we want. Well I have downloaded from the internet an e-book (pdf format document) entitled "100 Resepi Kuih-Muih Malaysia" ( 100 Recipe of Malaysian Kueh). Most of Malaysian traditional kueh are difficult to make and need lots of ingredients (suddenly I realised this). To make it worst it is hard to find some ingredients that is accustomed to Malaysia in Plymouth... like pandan leaves...lime stone water (air kapur) ect..ect... but I was lucky to find pandan leaves over here... frozen one.. but it is already good that we find it here yeah!!!! So.. with pandan leaves are available I decided to make some Seri Muka. Seri Muka is a kueh with two layers (as seen in the picture)...the green one is the custard layer with pandan juice (and also some green colouring) and the white one is glutinous rice steamed with santan (coconut milk). So here is the recipe... care to try??
The Glutinous Rice Layer.
3 cups of glutinous rice.
3 cups of light coconut milk (santan cair daa..hehehe)
1/2 tsp of salt.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Oil a mould (cake mould or Loyang) and put the ingredients inside the mould. Then steam the rice until it well cooked.
- After the rice is cooked, press the rice in the mould.
The Pandan Custard Layer.
3 cups of thick coconut milk (santan pekat).
4 pandan leaves (make a juice out of it, just blend it with 1/3 cup of water and sieve a.k.a tapis it).
1/2 tspn of green food colouring.
1/2 cup of sugar.
1/2 cup of flour (wheat flour/tepung gandum).
1/2 cup of custard powder or corn flour.
1 tspn of salt.
- Add all the ingredients in a blender, and blend it.
- Sieve (tapis) the mixture.
- After the rice been pressed, put the mixture in the mould on top of the glutinous rice.
- Then steamed it again for about 30 - 40 minutes.
- After the kueh is cooked let it cool down, not inside the freezer for a long time or the custard will become hard.